Part Three - If Hearts Could Fly

Epilogue 


Rose's heart pounded, as Robert led the way to the nearby park. 

She was on the verge of asking, "where are you taking me?" when she realised that would be a needless question. It was clear Robert was seizing the opportunity to enjoy her company after a long day's work and watch the dusky, golden sunset from the benches by the park. It was the only splash of green in the area and much-appreciated by the residents of the city, especially the cotton mill employees. The fresh outdoor air was a welcome relief when compared to the thick, dense weight of cotton that permeated the air they breathed, daily, in the suffocating swamp of a factory. 


Robert reached a bench and beckoned for Rose to take a seat beside him. 

"You must know," he took her hand and pressed it to his chest. "I can't conceal it any longer. You must know that I love you."


Rose's heart skipped a beat.


"I... I love you too," she found herself saying after an interesting pause. "Robert... I love you too."


The words were spoken, the fact cemented, the truth solidified.


"Dorothy told me of your predicament," Robert said. "I would like to offer you stability and freedom from your financial responsibilities. I can give you a home and - if you would let me - I would love to dedicate my life to your happiness. Rose." He kissed her hand tenderly. "Will you marry me?"

She gasped and smiled, her eyes moist, her heart full.  

"Because I would like nothing better," Robert continued. "Than to become your loving, devoted husband."

"Yes." Rose watched as his smile grew and his eyes shone. "Yes! Yes, Robert, I will marry you."

A kiss sealed the moment.

"My heart is flying," he whispered into her hair as they embraced long and hard. 

 "Thank you," Rose breathed. "For everything."




The End 



I hope you enjoyed If Hearts Could Fly. It is the first short story in a trilogy I would like to publish here on Dew of the Sea Costume history. The next story will be "A Poet's Prayer" following the continued journey of Rose and Robert Stainton. 


The third story will be "The Writer's Wish" which focuses on Minnie's growth into youth and adulthood, alongside her brother, Thomas. She learns as she grows and what emerges is a budding writer, who wishes to make a difference. This story is set many years after If Hearts Could Fly, when young Minnie and Thomas are embarking on love quests of their own. Their step-sister, Lucy, who appears in A Poet's Prayer, also features in The Writer's Wish. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anne of Green Gables Book vs 1980s Miniseries: The Wincey Dress

Sense and Sensibility: A Review

Little Women 2019 and 1990s movies vs reality: Meg March