Part Two - If Hearts Could Fly

 Chapter Four 


"Rose, my dear, you look as though you haven't got enough sleep! This industry is known for causing fatigue." Dorothy patted her back fondly and smiled. "You lying awake, dreaming of the future? Wondering if it contains a certain young gentleman we're both very fond of?"

"Unfortunately, no." Rose sighed. "The reasons for my tiredness and the fact I had a sleepless night are far less agreeable."

"I'm all ears."

"Well... I've received a letter from my landlord and we are, as it turns out, no longer able to stay in the house. We have been given two weeks to vacate."

"Oh, Rose!" Dorothy exclaimed. "I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could do."


"I've been praying for a miracle."


"Of course you have. As will I."


Rose paused in her work and shut her eyes tight. "Lord, send me a miracle," her heart whispered. "Send me a miracle." 


That evening, just as Rose, Thomas and Minnie were finishing dinner, there was a knock on the door. 

Rose opened it to find Robert Stainton smiling on the doorstep. 

"Hello!" 


"Hello..." Rose beckoned. "Will you come in?"


"Can't stay long. Just wanted to give you this." Robert pressed a sheet of paper, all folded up, into Rose's hand. "Read it when you're ready. I'll see you tomorrow at the mill."

"Okay." Rose nodded. "Thank you."


Thomas and Minnie were in bed, drifting to sleep, but Rose needed some time alone with the paper Robert had given her before she could be carried away into steady slumber. 

It had been tough getting to sleep lately anyway, what with the pressure and anxiety the eviction notice had caused.

But tonight, she got dressed and ready for bed, curling under a blanket to get comfy. 

Tonight she would read Robert's letter and forget all her troubles and woes. 

She unfolded the sheet and read on. 


If hearts could fly

As eagles do

I know I'd soar

Right up to you


If hearts had wings 

To rise above

And crowns like kings

Bejeweled with love 


If hearts were free

To fly and roam

Mine would seek

A steady home


With all the joy

That can be seen

When I'm your boy

And you're my queen. 


With all the peace

That can be felt 

When troubles cease

And ices melt 


There will I rest

I'll tell you why

For I am blessed

If hearts could fly.




Rose inhaled a deep breath of air and exhaled slowly, heaving a great big sigh. That was breathtaking. He wrote that! Did that mean he could truly write from his heart and in doing so - win hers?


 Like Peter did? 

And yet... 


Robert barely knew her and she barely knew him. 


Peter and Rose had grown up together. They had been perfect for eachother. Could she respond to this poem in a positive way? That would lead to something more? 

Could she love Robert and be happy again? Was he the answer to her prayers? There was only one way to find out. 




Chapter Five 


Rose saw Robert the next morning in the street as she approached the mill. He tipped his headwear courteously and waved. Then he winked...


Such a sweet, childlike gesture, she thought to herself. But then she remembered the gesture he had courageously ventured to give last night. That beautiful poem.... The kindness it radiated and the open, honest intentions it announced... the genuine, heartfelt sincerity with which he had penned every word, every syllable, every scratch of ink. 


It was a busy day and Rose barely got a chance to speak properly to Dorothy, let alone Robert Stainton. But as the workday drew to a close and the employees prepared to leave, Robert approached her. And asked if he could speak with her - alone...


(Continued in next post...) 

(See next post to read the short story's final, conclusive epilogue). 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anne of Green Gables Book vs 1980s Miniseries: The Wincey Dress

Sense and Sensibility: A Review

Little Women 2019 and 1990s movies vs reality: Meg March